HomeMy WebLinkAboutForPrintNMainWalkingTour
Grand Opera House – 1883
NNOORRTTHH MMAAIINN SSTTRREEEETT
HHIISSTTOORRIICC DDIISSTTRRIICCTT
WWAALLKKIINNGG TTOOUURR
Prepared by the City of Oshkosh Planning Services Division for the
Landmarks Commission. Published with support from the Downtown
Oshkosh Business Improvement District.
VViissuuaallllyy ssttiimmuullaattiinngg aanndd ssaattiissffyyiinngg,, tthhee bbuuiillddiinnggss sshhooww aa
pplleeaassiinngg vvaarriieettyy ooff ddeeccoorraattiivvee bbrriicckkwwoorrkk,, ccoonnttrraassttiinngg
ssttoonneewwoorrkk,, mmeettaallwwoorrkk aanndd tteerrrraa ccoottttaa.. RRoouunndd sseeggmmeennttaall
aanndd ppooiinntteedd aarrcchheess,, aalloonngg wwiitthh tthhee ooccccaassiioonnaall ttuurrrreett aanndd
ggaabbllee ccoonnttrriibbuuttee ttoo tthhee aarrcchhiitteeccttuurraall iinntteerreesstt ooff tthhee
DDiissttrriicctt..
TThhee NNoorrtthh MMaaiinn SSttrreeeett
HHiissttoorriicc DDiissttrriicctt WWaallkkiinngg
TToouurr eennccoommppaasssseess tthhrreeee
bblloocckkss ooff tthhee ddoowwnnttoowwnn
aarreeaa.. TThhiiss GGuuiiddee
ffeeaattuurreess eelleevveenn bbuuiillddiinnggss
sseelleecctteedd ttoo rreefflleecctt tthhee
vvaarriieettyy ooff ssttyylleess aanndd tthhee
rriicchh hhiissttoorryy aassssoocciiaatteedd
TThhee NNoorrtthh MMaaiinn SSttrreeeett HHiissttoorriicc
DDiissttrriicctt rreepprreesseennttss tthhee hhiissttoorriicc
ccoommmmeerrcciiaall aanndd rreettaaiill cceenntteerr ooff tthhee
CCiittyy.. IItt iiss aann iinnttaacctt aanndd vviissuuaallllyy
ddiissttiinncctt ggrroouuppiinngg ooff nniinneetteeeenntthh aanndd
eeaarrllyy ttwweennttiieetthh cceennttuurryy bbuuiillddiinnggss,,
wwiitthh aa hhiigghh ccoonncceennttrraattiioonn oonn
aarrcchhiitteecctt--ddeessiiggnneedd,, eecclleeccttiicc
IIttaalliiaannaattee aanndd QQuueeeenn AAnnnnee--ssttyyllee
mmaassoonnrryy ssttrruuccttuurreess.. OOff tthheessee,,
mmaannyy wweerree ccrreeaatteedd bbyy nnootteedd
OOsshhkkoosshh aarrcchhiitteecctt,, WWiilllliiaamm WWaatteerrss
((11884433--11991177))..
wwiitthh tthhiiss DDiissttrriicctt.. TThhee CCiittyy ooff OOsshhkkoosshh LLaannddmmaarrkkss
CCoommmmiissssiioonn hhooppeess tthhaatt tthheessee eexxaammpplleess wwiillll ssttiimmuullaattee aa
sseennssee ooff ddiissccoovveerryy,, aapppprreecciiaattiioonn,, aanndd iimmaaggiinnaattiioonn aass tthhee
vviieewweerr ssttrroollllss tthhrroouugghh tthhiiss hhiissttoorriicc aarreeaa..
579 North Main Street
The Dimpsey Building
Year Built: 1895 Style: Queen Anne
This building housed a variety of stores over the years:
hardware, meat market, and confectionary, among others.
This building features a turreted, canted corner entrance,
substantial decorative brickwork, limestone courses, pressed
egg and dart decorative metalwork, second store bays, and a
gabled façade.
537 North Main Street
Gibson Tire Company
Year Built: 1925 Style: Modern Broadfront
This building was one of two Main Street buildings built by Alenor
Gibson, the other is 570 North Main Street. Initially, it housed Gibson
Tire Company and from 1961 until 1982 it was Gibson Auto
Exchange. This building features a glazed terra cotta veneer
enriched with urns, egg and dart, and bead and reel moldings,
volutes and a cartouche
522 North Main Street
Raulf Hotel/Strand Theatre
Year Built: 1927 Style: Neo-Gothic
The Strand Theatre, the City’s leading movie palace,
opened in 1928 as part of the Raulf Hotel complex. After
closing in 1981, the theater space was converted to housing
units as part of a complete rehabilitation of the hotel. This
building features glazed terra cotta tracery and Jacobean
and Tudor elements.
1
2 3
502 North Main Street
Wagner Opera House/Methodist Church
Year Built: 1874 Architect: William Waters
Originally built for William Wagner as an Opera House, it was
damaged twice by fire before it could be opened. Wagner sold
the property to the First Methodist Congregation, who
occupied the building until 1970.This building was initially
designed by William Waters in the Italianate style with a
bracketed cornice and Mansard-roofed central tower. A major
remodeling in 1925 re-styled it as a Neo Classical Revival
building by altering storefront, creating tall, round-arched
windows on the south façade, and removing the bracketed
cornice and central tower. The main Street entrance was
altered in 1955
465 North Main Street
Rudd G Holden Block
Year Built: 1874 Style: Italianate/Gothic Revival
This building once housed the Oshkosh Business College
before it took up permanent residence in the Bent Block
directly opposite of Rudd G Holden Block. This building
features brick corbelling, recessed crosses at the cornice, and
segmental-arched second story windows on the Church
Avenue façade. The use of contrasting brick colors in the
second story façade is a signature feature of the High Victorian
Gothic, which is rare in Wisconsin.
4
6
501 North Main Street
Webster Block
Year Built: 1895 Architect: E. E. Stevens
Style: Queen Anne
This building features a turreted canted corner entrance,
decorative brick work and pressed metal. The third story
conical-roofed corner turret, removed in the 1950s, was rebuilt
in 2003 during a full restoration of the building.
460 North Main Street
Bent Block
Year Built: 1886
The final home of the Oshkosh Business College, this
building offers a clean-lined contrast with its Italianate and
Neo-Classical Revival neighbors. A May 15, 1886 account
in the Oshkosh Times states, “In appearance it will be
imposing, the design being drawn in accordance with the
most modern and approved style of architecture.” Restored
in 2003, the upper floors have been converted into
apartment units. This building features decorative
brickwork, patterned stone courses, and stone window
moldings.
5
7
448 North Main Street
Year Built: Circa 1855
Style: Commercial Vernacular
The Commercial Vernacular style of architecture was one
of the most common commercial designs in the United
States during the mid-eighteen hundreds through the
1940’s. As you can see from the façade, limited
ornamentation was integrated using brick work and cast
concrete around the windows. For years the building was
home to Wilson Music and has been recently renovated
to its original form housing commercial on the main floor
and residential units on the second floor.
101 Algoma Boulevard
Year Built: 1875 Architect: William Waters
Style: Italianate, with Gothic Revival elements
Harvey B. Dale, influential physician, surgeon and
Superintendant of Schools, was an early occupant of this
building. Some of the building’s features include Italianate and
Gothic Revival windows and hood moldings, pilasters with
shouldered triangular pediments, trefoil arch tracery, and
keystones embellished with Latin crosses.
401 North Main
Beckwith House Hotel
Year Built: 1874 Architect: William Waters
Style: Italianate
Originally a four story hotel designed by William Waters, the
upper stories were destroyed by fire in 1880. The owner,
Samuel Beckwith, restored the first two floors. This building
features decorative brickwork, including recessed crosses at
the cornice, rounded and segmental-arched second story
windows with ornate metal-shouldered hood moldings.
8
10
9
100 High Avenue
Grand Opera House
Year Built: 1883 Architect: William Waters
Style: Queen Anne, with Italianate elements
This Victorian building served as the City’s Opera House until 1936
and as a movie house from 1942 to 1983. The City restored it in
1986. Try to attend a performance or arrange a tour of the
authentically ornate interior. This building features gabled
shouldered parapet inset with brick and stone in a lattice pattern,
decorative corbelling at the roofline, and a patterned brick chimney.
11
NORTH MAIN STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT