Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutItem 3PLAN COMMISSION STAFF REPORT MARCH 3, 2026 ITEM 3: Landmark Designation of 404 West New York Avenue Applicant/Owner: Richard C. Green Action Requested: Landmark designation Applicable Ordinance Provision: Designation of Landmarks is in Section 30-447(F) of the City of Oshkosh Municipal Code. Pursuant to 30-447(E), the property is being nominated under all of the eligibility criteria. Property Description/History: 404 West New York Avenue sits on the northwest corner of West New York Avenue and Jackson Street on Oshkosh’s north side; and is within the Historic Jackson Neighborhood Association. According to Sanborn Maps from 1957 the surrounding area was similar to today, consisting primarily of residential homes; however, Jackson Field used to be home to East Hall Boys Dormitory for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO) and was earlier used as a hospital (Alexian Brothers Hospital). The subject property and surrounding area are zoned Single Family-9 (SR- 9). Other close by areas are zoned Institutional (I), Multi-Family Residential-20 (MR-20), and Single Family-5 (SR-5). Analysis: The purpose of Landmark designation is to both recognize the historic value of a property and to provide an opportunity for the Landmarks Commission to work with property owners by providing alternative approaches for alterations that meet both, the owners’ objectives, as well as preserve the historic integrity of a Landmarked property. Since the first historic preservation ordinance was adopted in the early 1980’s, the Landmarks Commission has had the ability to designate local Historic Landmarks through the Historic Preservation article of the Zoning Ordinance. The ordinance includes guidelines for review of proposed future exterior alterations, as well as provides the Commission the ability to review and make recommended changes to exterior alterations and demolition of properties that are locally landmarked. This limited power consists of a requirement that the property owner meet with the Landmarks Commission to discuss any proposed exterior alterations as they relate to the historic integrity of the building and to allow the Commission the opportunity to offer alternatives that would meet the needs of the owner as well as to preserve the historic integrity of the property. The local Landmarking process involves a public hearing and review before the Oshkosh Landmarks Commission, which took place on February 11, 2026. The Commission approved the requested Landmark Designation of the subject property. Local Landmarking also requires review and recommendation by the Plan Commission and final approval by the Common Council. Page 1 ITEM 3 – Landmark Designation- 404 W New York Ave Attached please find information provided by the owner, which provides historic information on the property and reasoning for recommendation that the property is eligible to receive local Landmark status under one or both of the following criteria/categories: 1. The property exemplifies the cultural and economic history of the community. 2. The property reflects distinctive and important elements of the City’s architectural, cultural, social, and economic history. Recommendation: Staff recommends approval and concurs with the recommendation of the Landmarks Commission that this property be designated as a Local Landmark. Page 2 January 13, 2026 City of Oshkosh Landmarks Commission Nomination 404 W New York Ave L. Frank Gates House Submitted By Richard C. Green, Owner Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Section 3 Explanation The historic property at 404 W New York Ave in Oshkosh, Wisconsin is an architectural and cultural landmark known as the L. Frank Gates House. Built in 1902, the L. Frank Gates House is more than just a large residence; it is a textbook study in Georgian Revival (Colonial Revival) architecture. While many houses of this era attempted the style, 404 W New York Ave is celebrated by architectural historians for its mathematical precision and adherence to classical "Golden Ratio" proportions. Below is a breakdown of the specific architectural details and why they are historically and culturally significant. Architecture and Design (Note 1) The house is a premier example of the Georgian Revival (a subset of Colonial Revival) style. Its design is celebrated by the Wisconsin Historical Society and local landmarks commissions for its classical precision and massive scale. • Architect/Builder: The home was built by Joseph T. Raycraft, a prominent Oshkosh master builder and craftsman. Architect William C. Klapproth, a collaborator of Raycraft, was known for high-style residential work in the region. • Key Features: The Portico: Its most distinguishing feature is the massive, two-story, fully pedimented portico supported by four fluted Ionic columns. It is uniquely noted as the only house in Oshkosh where the portico is "properly scaled" to the rest of the building. o Windows: The home features Palladian windows centered in the side gable peaks and gabled dormers. o Construction: It sits on a coursed stone block foundation with narrow clapboard siding and a distinctive dentilled frieze. o Interior: Historically, the home was noted for having 12 rooms finished in various high-end hardwoods, reflecting the wealth of the local lumber and manufacturing industry. Joseph T. Raycraft: The Master Builder The Klapproth-Raycraft Pedigree: The home represents a collaboration between William C. Klapproth, an architect who brought academic rigor to Oshkosh, and Joseph T. Raycraft, the city’s most celebrated master builder of the era. While William Klapproth designed the "bones," Joseph T. Raycraft was the man responsible for the "flesh"—the intricate woodwork and structural integrity. • Reputation: Raycraft was Oshkosh’s premier contractor for "fine woodwork." He was less a general laborer and more a master craftsman who specialized in the transition from Victorian complexity to Classical precision. Page 6 • Other Famous Projects: o The Frontenac (1890s): A famous Oshkosh apartment building where Raycraft’s skill with Richardsonian Romanesque details (brick and limestone) is most visible. o The "Twin Houses": Located at the corner of Wisconsin and Amherst, these 1902 residences were a speculative project by Raycraft that showcased his ability to build modern, symmetrical homes for the rising middle class. o Oshkosh Logging Tool Co. Factory: Raycraft also handled industrial commissions, showing his versatility in both delicate interior trim and heavy-timber framing. o Baptist Temple. Church Street, 1902 William C. Klapproth: The "Academic" Architect William Klapproth is historically significant because he brought an "Academic" rigor to Oshkosh that challenged the long-standing dominance of architect William Waters. • The Los Angeles Influence: Klapproth arrived from Los Angeles (where he worked on the West Lake Park Pavilion), bringing a West Coast appreciation for light and "Foursquare" efficiency. • Signature Details: If you see these three things in Oshkosh, you are likely looking at a Klapproth: 1. The Jerkin Head Gable: A roof style where the peak is "clipped" or turned down. 2. The Prow Gable: A gable that projects forward like the bow of a ship. 3. Ionic Precision: Klapproth was obsessed with the Ionic Order (the scroll-topped columns). The Gates House is considered his masterpiece because the columns are perfectly scaled—neither too thin nor too bulky for the porch. • Major Works: He designed the Ladies Benevolent Society's Home for the Friendless (1628 N Main St), the H.F. Wenrich Establishment, and several "High-Style" homes in the Hi- Holder neighborhood. Architectural Excellence & Integrity 1. The Monumental Portico The most dominant feature of the house is the two-story, fully pedimented portico (the porch structure). • Description: A massive triangular pediment supported by four fluted Ionic columns. • The "Scaling" Importance: Most Victorian-era builders struggled to transition to the larger scale of the Georgian Revival, often creating porches that looked "stuck on." This house is specifically cited in Wisconsin Historical Society records for its perfect scale. The height of the columns relative to the width of the pediment follows strict classical orders, giving the house a sense of permanence and "civic" dignity rather than just residential charm. • The Ionic Order: Unlike the simpler Doric or more ornate Corinthian, the Ionic columns (identified by the scroll-like "volutes" at the top) were historically associated with wisdom, education, and the "mature" aesthetic. For a man like L. Frank Gates, this signaled his status as an intellectual and industrial leader. Page 7 2. Fenestration and the Palladian Window The arrangement of windows (fenestration) on this property follows the strict bilateral symmetry required of the Georgian style. • Description: The house features a prominent Palladian window centered in the side gable peaks. A Palladian window consists of a large, arched central light flanked by two smaller, rectangular side lights. • Architectural Importance: The Palladian window is the ultimate "status symbol" of 18th and 19th-century architecture. It requires complex framing and glasswork. In this house, it serves to soften the rigid horizontal lines of the clapboard siding and provides a focal point for the upper stories. • Dormer Symmetry: The gabled dormers on the roofline are aligned perfectly with the windows below, maintaining a visual "rhythm" that is pleasing to the eye and suggests order and stability. 3. The Entablature and Dentilled Frieze If you look closely at the "trim" where the roof meets the walls, you will see highly detailed woodwork. • Description: The house features a dentilled frieze. "Dentils" are small, square, tooth-like blocks used in a repeating pattern. • Architectural Importance: These details are a direct nod to ancient Greek and Roman temples. In 1902, these were not mass-produced plastic or foam; they were hand-cut from local lumber. This detail highlights the high-level craftsmanship of Joseph T. Raycraft and the abundance of quality wood available in the "Sawdust City" (Oshkosh). 4. Materials: Local Industry in Physical Form The materials used in 404 W New York Ave are a physical archive of Oshkosh’s economy in 1902. The house not just a residence; it is a monument to the craftsmanship and architectural transition of early 20th-century Oshkosh. Below are details on the exterior, interior and the master craftsmen involved. • Narrow Clapboard Siding: The use of exceptionally narrow wood siding was a sign of wealth. Narrower boards were more expensive to install but provided a smoother, more "masonry-like" appearance from a distance. • Coursed Stone Foundation: The foundation is made of heavy, rusticated stone blocks laid in regular courses. This provides a "heavy" base that makes the house appear as though it is growing out of the ground, a key concept in classical architecture meant to represent the owner's deep roots in the community. • The "Oshkosh Hardwoods": Inside, the use of 12 rooms finished in different hardwoods was essentially a showroom for the Sash and Door industry. L. Frank Gates, working for Diamond Match, would have had access to the finest wood stocks in the world, and this house was meant to display that "timber wealth." Because L. Frank Gates was an executive Page 8 for the Diamond Match Company, his home served as a physical portfolio of the high-end lumber passing through Oshkosh at its industrial peak. • The "Twelve-Room Finish": Historical records indicate that the house features 12 rooms, each finished in distinct varieties of high-grade hardwoods. This was a rare luxury, intended to show the different "grains" available to the sash and door industry. • Specific Species: While common to the era, the Gates house utilized the "Triple Threat" of Wisconsin hardwoods: o Quarter-Sawn White Oak: Used in the grand foyer and main staircase. Quarter- sawing produces a "flake" or "tiger" pattern that is more stable and visually striking than flat-sawn oak. o Bird’s Eye Maple: Often reserved for ladies' parlors or master bedrooms due to its delicate, swirling "eyes." o Select Red Birch & Cherry: Used in the dining room and library to provide deep, warm tones that darkened elegantly with age. • Architectural Importance: In 1902, these woods were hand-fitted by master joiners. The seamless transitions between different wood types in adjacent rooms demonstrate a level of joinery that is nearly impossible to replicate today without immense cost. 5. Historical Significance of the "High-Style" Choice Why did Gates choose Georgian Revival instead of the popular, flowery Queen Anne (Victorian) style? • Cultural Shift: By 1902, the "eccentricity" of the Victorian era was being replaced by a desire for American Identity. The Georgian/Colonial Revival looked back to the founding fathers and the early American republic. • Statement of Power: By choosing this style, Gates was aligning himself with the established "old money" of the East Coast, signaling that Oshkosh was no longer a rough lumber camp, but a sophisticated, permanent city of the American Midwest. • Early Automotive History: The property features a purpose-built "Motor House" (garage) designed to match the main residence. It housed extraordinary vehicles, including a 1908 Franklin and 1911 Lozier Model 51, marking the transition from the horse-and-buggy era to the prestigious automotive age. Comparison of Architectural Significance Detail Symbolic Meaning Engineering Significance Ionic Columns Wisdom & Maturity Load-bearing precision for the massive portico. Palladian Window Cultural Sophistication Advanced carpentry and glass-fitting. Dentils Classical Authority Hand-cut craftsmanship from local Oshkosh lumber. Symmetry Order & Stability Requires master-level architectural planning (Klapproth). Page 9 The residence at 404 W New York Ave serves as a bridge between the city’s early lumber-based wealth and its modern status as a global leader in specialized manufacturing. Association with Persons of Local Significance 1. L. Frank Gates: The Titan of Diamond Match Company L. Frank Gates was more than just a manager; he was a central figure during the era when Oshkosh was the "Match Capital of the World." • Diamond Match Company: Gates managed the Oshkosh branch of the Diamond Match Co., which at its peak was the largest match factory in the world. His leadership coincided with a period of massive labor expansion and technological change in the industry. (Note 2) • Social & Nautical Influence: Gates was a prominent member of the Oshkosh Yacht Club (Note 3) and the Inland Lake Yachting Association ILYA. (Note 4) During his residence at 404 W New York Ave, the home was a social hub for the city’s industrial elite. His lifestyle—and this house—reflected the transition of Oshkosh from a rugged frontier town to a sophisticated industrial city. • Property Influence: It was Gates who commissioned the grand Georgian Revival design, intending it to be a statement of stability and classical taste, diverging from the more ornate Victorian styles of the previous decade. 2. The Sullivan Era (1920s–1963): The Triangle Legacy Frank Sullivan, the founder of Triangle Manufacturing, moved into the home during an era when Oshkosh was diversifying. (Note 5) • Frank Sullivan was a major industrialist who founded Triangle Manufacturing Company in 1922. After starting as a tool and die maker and later the plant manager at the Oshkosh Truck Corp (now Oshkosh Corporation), he ventured out to build Triangle into a nationally recognized manufacturer of bearings and metal components. His residency in the home represents the transition of Oshkosh from a lumber town to a diversified industrial hub. Frank J. Sullivan • A genealogical profile identifies Frank Joseph Sullivan, born 1884, who married Georgiana Mabel Steiner about 1906 and later lived in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. • Triangle Manufacturing and related company profiles state that Frank Sullivan worked on the shop floor at Oshkosh Truck Corp (Oshkosh Motor Truck) before leaving to start his own business. • In 1922 he founded Triangle Manufacturing Company in Oshkosh, originally as a small tool-and-die or machine shop responding to local industrial demand. • Over time he built Triangle into a producer of metal components and bearings (rod ends, Lazy Susan turntable bearings, linkage assemblies, motor mounts) that supplied agriculture, HVAC, automotive, and other industries, with the firm now shipping components worldwide. Page 10 Georgiana Mabel (Steiner) Sullivan • The same genealogical record describes Georgiana Mabel Steiner as Frank’s wife, married about 1906, and notes that the couple lived in Wisconsin, including in or near Oshkosh in the early 20th century.[ancestors.familysearch] • The entry indicates that they had children and that Frank’s working life included residence in Wisconsin industrial centers before and during their time in Oshkosh, consistent with his later role as a local manufacturer.[ancestors.familysearch] • While business summaries focus on Frank as the founder, Georgiana would have shared in the family’s move to Oshkosh, the years of his employment at Oshkosh Motor Truck, and the risks of launching Triangle Manufacturing. 3. The David and Mary Green Era (1963–2018): Innovation and Artistry When David G. and Mary L. Green moved in in 1963, they brought a new level of civic energy to the property David G. Green: Industrial Innovator and Executive David G. Green’s tenure at the house represents the "Golden Age" of Oshkosh manufacturing. His career trajectory from Plant Manager at Triangle Manufacturing to a Senior Executive at Oshkosh Truck (now Oshkosh Corp) mirrors the city's rise as a heavy-vehicle powerhouse. Professional Innovations & Inventions At Oshkosh Truck, Green was instrumental in the transition toward high-tech, heavy-duty military and municipal vehicles. His contributions include: • Manufacturing Efficiency: Starting as Remanufacturing Plant Manager and eventually as Plant Manager, Green pioneered assembly line optimizations for specialized chassis that allowed the company to scale for large government contracts. • Technical Innovations: Green was involved in the development and refinement of all-wheel- drive systems and heavy-duty suspension components that define the "Oshkosh" brand today. His work helped transition the company from local truck building to international defense contracting. • Green was personally credited with manufacturing innovations that allowed Oshkosh Truck to handle massive military contracts for vehicles like the HEMTT (Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck), Patriot Missile Launcher, numerous Crash Fire Rescue vehicles and snow removal vehicles throughout the world. Page 11 David Green in front of the Oshkosh Truck 8-Wheel Drive Patriot Missile Launcher on display at the Experimental Aircraft Association Convention in Oshkosh. David Green was a principal designer of this truck and many others. Civic Contributions David G. Green was a pillar of the Oshkosh community, serving in numerous leadership capacities: • Infrastructure & Transportation: Green served on the Wittman Regional Airport board and was a key advocate for the airport's expansion, recognizing its importance to local industry. He was responsible for negotiating the plan with EAA founder, Paul Poberezny, to build an infrastructure for the Experimental Aircraft Association Fly-In Convention thus making Oshkosh its permanent home. • Faith & Service: A devoted member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Green held high-ranking roles within the Knights of Columbus, steering their local philanthropic efforts. • Governance: Green was active in Winnebago County and City of Oshkosh committees, often providing the "engineer’s perspective" on municipal growth and public works. o Winnebago County Supervisor, District 14 o President, Oshkosh Taxpayers Association o President, Oshkosh Noon Optimist Club o President, Oshkosh Chamber Aviation Advisory Committee o President, Oshkosh Chamber Ambassadors o President, Oshkosh Knights of Columbus Building Association o Director, Hooper Community Center o Member, SCORE Committee Page 12 Mary L. Green: Cultural Icon, Civic Leader and Health Advocate • The Arts: Mary performed with the Oshkosh Community Players, bringing the drama and culture of the local theater into the home. She was well known for her creativity through her "tatting" (hand-made lace jewelry), sculptures, oil paintings, sewing skills and hand made crafts. Mary was a highly skilled antique collector and understood the historical significance of original furnishings in the house. • Boards & Clubs: Mary was a powerhouse in the 20th Century Club and a dedicated member of the Auxiliary Board of the Oshkosh Public Museum. Her work in these organizations helped preserve the very history the house now represents. • Professionalism: As a Registered Nurse (RN, Mercy Medical Center), Mary balanced her civic life with a career in healthcare, embodying the "modern woman" of the 1960s and 70s. She brought professional expertise to local health initiatives and served as a mentor for nursing students in the Fox Valley. • Community Leadership: Mary was a force in local women's organizations. She was known for organizing large-scale charitable events and was a key figure in the "behind-the-scenes" social fabric that supported Oshkosh’s civic institutions. Her residence turned the home into a center for the city's arts and philanthropic efforts for nearly 60 years. 4. Richard C. Green: The Modern Steward Richard Green, son of David and Mary and the current owner, has a career that embraces the preservation of culture, earning degrees in Archaeology and Historical Geology at Northwestern University. For 13 years, Rich served as the Board President of the Palo Alto History Museum where he completed a $13 million rehabilitation of the historic Roth medical clinic building thus opening the doors for Palo Alto’s first history museum. Rich received the prestigious “Tall Tree” Lifetime Achievement Award from the City of Palo Alto, CA in 2025 in addition to the CEDIA (Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association) Lifetime Achievement Award the same year. He returned to his hometown of Oshkosh in July, 2025. Rich brings a professional eye to the maintenance of 404 W New York Ave. Under his care, and with his sister, Elizabeth M. Deger, the house is not just a residence but a preserved architectural treasure representing a living archive of the Gates, Sullivan, and Green legacies. Detailed Ownership Timeline Era Primary Owners Industrial/Social Context 1902 – c. 1925 L. Frank Gates The Lumber Barons: Built the home as a "high-style" statement of success in the lumber industry. c. 1925 – 1963 Frank Sullivan The Industrial Transition: Founder of Triangle Manufacturing; represented the city's shift toward metalwork. 1963 – 2018 David G. & Mary L. Green The Civic Golden Age: A 57-year legacy of industrial innovation (Oshkosh Truck), cultural and civic leadership. 2018 – Present Richard Green The Historian’s Stewardship: Preservation and continuation of the property’s cultural legacy. Page 13 Property Legacy Summary Feature Significance Architecture High-style Georgian Revival; the city's best-scaled Ionic portico. Industrial Link Home to leaders of Diamond Match, Triangle Manufacturing, and Oshkosh Corp. Civic Link A "Power House" where decisions regarding the airport, local healthcare, and church charity were often deliberated. Historical Context of the Owners The property has been preserved by families who understood the value of Oshkosh's history. From the Gates legacy with the Diamond Match Company to the Sullivans, who founded Triangle Manufacturing to the Greens, the owners have consistently been "builders"-- not just of products, but of the community itself. The home has consistently been a residence for figures who prioritized community health and historical preservation, making it a cornerstone of the Jackson Street historical corridor. Richard Green’s current stewardship continues this tradition, utilizing his background in Anthropology, Engineering and museum presidency to maintain the home as a living piece of Oshkosh history. Conclusion The L. Frank Gates House deserves landmark status not merely for its age and architectural integrity, but for its role as a guardian of Oshkosh’s identity. It preserves the craftsmanship of the lumber era, the ingenuity of the manufacturing era, and the cultural dedication of the Green family. It remains an intact, high-integrity piece of the city’s built environment that tells the story of how Oshkosh became a leader in industry and the arts. Page 14 References Note 1 Wisconsin Historical Society Property Record (formatted for clarity) https://wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI51786 Additional Information: A 'site file' exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the Wisconsin Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office. Constructed by J.T. Raycraft at a cost of $7000, this frame residence is a fine Georgian Revival design. The two-story pedimented portico is supported by Ionic columns. The typanum is decorated with a lunette. This is the only house in Oshkosh in which the portico is properly scaled in relation to the building proper and is the best example of this phase of Georgian Revival design. 1994- "This house is distinguished by its massive, two story, fully pedimented portico that has a distinctive, dentilled frieze and is supported by four large, fluted, Ionic Order columns. The classical nature of the house is further enhanced by fully pedimented side gables and gabled dormers. Centered in the side gable peaks are Palladian windows. The structure rises from a coursed, stone block foundation and has narrow, clapboard siding with corner boards. L. Frank Gates was manager if the Diamond Match Company as well as an avid yachtsman. According to the Intensive Survey Form, the house belonged to L. Frank Gates, a Diamond Match Company executive. It was built for $7,000 by J.T. Raycraft, who was apparently an accomplished local carpenter/craftsman." "Jackson St (Murdock to Church), Oshkosh", WisDOT ID #6432-07-00, Prepared by Heritage Research, Ltd (1994). Bibliographic References: (A) Oshkosh Daily Northwestern 9/9/1902, p. 6. (B) Oshkosh City Directory 1908. RECORD LOCATION Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin Page 15 Note 2 Diamond Match Company https://search.library.wisc.edu/digital/AB7SM3B7WW7WEI8K/pages/APJXC3W2YSCXCF8R (History of the City of Oshkosh) Page 515 Oshkosh has also the largest match factory in the Union. It requires more than $1,200 daily to pay the freight charges on the matches shipped out. There has been constructed in the past year a mammoth building on High Street by the Diamond Match Company. This new structure was made necessary by the increased business of the company at this point. Page 529 A factory which utilizes a great amount of lumber each year is that of the Diamond Match Company, the large combination which has mills in several cities of this country. The new plant in Oshkosh is one of the largest of them all; being in a four-story brick building 600 by 150 feet, entirely fireproof. L. Frank Gates is in charge as local manager. The plant covers the block bounded by High, Osceola, Pearl and Blackhawk streets, and the main building is one of the landmarks of the city. Material for match stems is imported in the form of blocks from distant states. Diamond Match Factory. At the time it was built, it was the largest factory of its kind in America. Caption reads: "New Diamond Match Factory, Oshkosh, Wis." Wisconsinhistory.org Page 16 Note 3 Page 17 Note 4 https://www.ilya.org/ilya-history (Chapters 3,4) (Chapter 4 On to Geneva) The regatta would open on Monday with the Felker Cup, and into the rest of the week was scheduled such a blur of activity that the Oshkosh Times headlined its description "The Pace That Kills." Excursions were scheduled for every morning, and afternoon racing was followed by social galas, trolley rides, and a special train to the Ringling Bros. Circus, as well as moonlight boat excursions and a grand ball at the Century Roller Rink. Oshkosh mayor John Banderob declared Wednesday, August 20, to be "Oshkosh Day," and issued the following recommendation: The Oshkosh Yacht Club, representing the Inland Lake Yachting Association, having named Wednesday, August 20, as "Oshkosh Day, "I hereby recommend and request that the citizens of Oshkosh as far as may be possible devote the afternoon of that day to a general attendance at the races on Lake Winnebago. I would also suggest that all places of business be closed at noon in order that all may have the opportunity of witnessing these races and thus aid in making this recreation popular." Following the mayor's lead, Oshkosh businesses threw their support behind the regatta. By August 7, $1,700 already had been pledged to the yacht club by citizens and businesses, with the total expected to climb to more than $2,000 by the end of the week. Haberdashers stocked up on nautical outfits, and even the Daily Northwestern ran an article on proper attire for yachtsmen. The Continental Clothing House advertised yachting caps—made just for the regatta for 48 cents, 75 cents, and 98 cents—and "the finest souvenirs ever seen in this city . . . especially imported from France. We will present these souvenirs with purchases of one dollar and above, in commemoration of the Inland Lake races." The Daily Northwestern itself strung a special telephone wire from the roof of the Waters house at the foot of Washington Street so that it could instantly publish the times of buoy roundings that occurred only fifteen minutes before. A special correspondent on the steamer Carter would display different colored fabric squares, which alone or in combination identified boats in the regatta. Marine binoculars, provided by Birely and Son, allowed the rooftop reporter to time roundings and see the colored signals. Results would be wired to the Northwestern office, where they would be set into type for local bulletins and telegraphed to the newspapers in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Bookmakers set up shop at the Hotel Athearn, and the Daily Northwestern listed the odds on each boat in the Felker Cup race. As of one o'clock on the day of the Felker race, Argo was a 10 to 5 favorite, with Aderyn at 15 to 5. According to the newspaper, "betting on the several boats was fairly brisk and quite a sum of money will change hands as a result of the race this afternoon." The regatta began with the Felker Cup, a race dominated in the early legs by three of the Winnebago yachts and Cavite. With 5,000 people watching on shore, Argo and then Harpoon took early leads, with Aderyn moving into second by the second buoy. As the breeze freshened, Argo overhauled Aderyn, only to be threatened by the high-pointing Harpoon. As skipper Jimmie Jones sailed to windward to stay in front of Harpoon, he cleared the way for Will Davis and Aderyn to break Page 18 through to leeward. All three bore down on the finish line rail to rail. Trailing by inches, Davis swung his bow up to the line at the last moment, and the three boats swept across the line together. Each yacht's supporters, of course, thought their crew had won. Davis's steam launch, Mocking Bird, blew such a long blast on her whistle that she was marooned without steam pressure for fifteen minutes. Unable to pick a clear winner, the judges aboard the steamer Annie M retired to the cabin to seek sanctuary from the questions shouted at them from the growing fleet of nearby boats. Unable to sort things out on the water, the judges announced they would continue deliberations at the Hotel Athearn, promising a decision by eight o'clock that evening. There, the judges met behind a locked door, with the hotel doorman stationed outside to keep away the overly curious. Spectators were called as witnesses, and the proceedings were recorded by a stenographer. By nine o'clock that evening, the judges finally faced the packed lobby. By a vote of three to one, with one judge excused, they gave the Felker Cup to Aderyn. Argo's owner, L. Frank Gates, promptly sought out Will Davis, owner of Aderyn, and shook his hand, complimenting him on his victory. But once the decision was announced, there arose a flurry of protests by Argo and Algonquin, each protesting the other and Argo claiming foul on Harpoon and Aderyn. None of these protests were heard by the judges. But two days later, two photographs would emerge of the finish that showed—at least according to the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern—that Argo had been in the lead as the boats crossed the finish line. With the controversial Felker Cup decided, the somewhat anticlimactic racing for the 1899 ILYA championship could begin. Argo would prove the fastest boat. Handled superbly by Jones, she won three of four races in the 20-footers. A special second prize went to Aderyn for her "remarkable showing," and Minnetonka's Nightingale won the 17-foot cup. Of the Winnebago boats, only Harpoon was not competitive, despite her showing in the Felker Cup race. Page 19 L. Frank Gates standing at left https://oshkosh.pastperfectonline.com/Photo/EA74CA69-2564-4842-A0DC-281562526748 Frank Gates and other members played a part in the development of the racing scow in the late 1890's and into the early 1900's. The OYC (Oshkosh Yacht Club) is a founding and charter member of the Inland Lake Yachting Association established in August of 1897. The club has continued to sail scows to the present. The classes currently sailing in OYC sanctioned races include Class A, E, 420, X, IOD, and Laser. In 1903 the city of Oshkosh buzzed with excitement over a crown jewel, the Oshkosh Yacht Club. Designed by the great architect, William Waters, the magnificent building was erected by area craftsmen in three short months. It opened two days before the start of the 1903 Inland Championship and was regarded as the finest club house to be found in the Midwest. https://oshkoshyachtclub.org/oychistory Page 20 Note 5 Frank Joseph Sullivan and his wife Georgiana Mabel (Steiner) Sullivan were an Oshkosh couple whose life story connects early 20th-century industrial work at Oshkosh Motor Truck with the founding of Triangle Manufacturing Company in 1922. Oshkosh Motor Truck (Oshkosh Truck Corp) • Business histories for Triangle describe Frank as leaving “the shop room floor at Oshkosh Truck Corp” to start his own company, confirming that he worked hands-on in production there. • Oshkosh Truck Corp (now Oshkosh Corporation) originated as Oshkosh Motor Truck in Oshkosh, building heavy trucks and specialty vehicles and becoming a key industrial employer in the city during Frank’s working years. • Frank’s experience on the factory floor at Oshkosh Motor Truck provided the engineering and fabrication background, as well as customer contacts, that he used when he struck out on his own. Triangle Manufacturing in Oshkosh • Triangle Manufacturing Company was founded in Oshkosh in 1922 by Frank Sullivan and has remained based there for more than a century. • Company histories describe it as starting as a small, customer-driven tool-and-die or metalworking shop and evolving into one of the larger U.S. producers of stamped metal bearings and related components. • Triangle’s present-day profiles explicitly credit Frank Sullivan’s “giant leap” from Oshkosh Truck to entrepreneurship as the origin of the firm and highlight a continuous engineering-focused culture stemming from his work. https://www.oshkoshcorp.com/story/history https://www.triangleoshkosh.com/about/the-triangle-manufacturing-story Page 21 L. Frank Gates House 404 W New York Ave (originally 128 New York Ave) Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901 Reference Photos L. Frank Gates Manager, Diamond Match Company Page 22 Earliest known photo, 1908, six years after the house was built. George W. Gates, Father seated next to Mother of L. Frank Gates in the Franklin. A technical marvel of its day, the air-cooled Franklin “barrel-front” was a high-end vehicle. It was common for the patriarch of the family to be photographed in the “new” family carriage, which at this time had transitioned from horse-drawn buggies to early automobiles. Note the right-hand drive. The license plate reads 854W, which indicates it was a Wisconsin plate. License plates in that era were issued as permanent plates. Note the windows on the upper porch, which must have been installed for Winter months. They are not visible in the next photo from 1911. New York Avenue is a dirt road. Page 23 1911-1912. L. Frank gates (driving) most likely with his son in the front left seat. This “Brass Era” car is a 1911-1912 Lozier Model 51, likely a “Briarcliff” Toy Tonneau or similar seven-passenger touring model. Key features of this exotic car: • The Radiator and Crest: The distinctive, upright radiator shape features a small circular emblem near the top center. Lozier was famous for its high-quality "jeweled" radiator badges. • Large Brass Headlights: These are typical of the "Brass Era" (roughly 1896–1915). By 1912, Lozier began transitioning to electric lights, but many models still featured these massive acetylene gas lamps. • Right-Hand Drive: Although it's an American car, many luxury vehicles of this era (like Lozier, Packard, and Pierce-Arrow) kept the steering wheel on the right side long after "budget" cars like the Ford Model T switched to the left. • Massive Wooden Spoke Wheels: You can see the heavy-duty artillery-style wheels. Lozier was known for its "Big Six" engines and massive chassis, which required these reinforced wooden wheels to handle the power. • The Side Toolbox: The large wooden box on the running board was a standard accessory for high-end touring cars of this period to hold the tools necessary for frequent roadside repairs. • (continues) Page 24 Historical Context: The Lozier was one of the most expensive and prestigious cars in America at the time, often costing over $5,000 (roughly $160,000 today). It was marketed as "The Choice of Men Who Know" and was a dominant force in early American auto racing, famously finishing second in the very first Indianapolis 500 in 1911. L. Frank Gates was an avid sportsman notably racing his sailing yachts, including the award- winning Argo, with the Inland Lakes Yachting Association, headquartered in Oshkosh. He shows a similar interest in speed with his automobiles. Gates died in an automobile accident in June 1925. The accident occurred in Indiana, and news snippets from the time mention him as the "former owner and captain of the Argo". The exact details of the crash, or the specific date of death, are not available in the provided snippets. One wonders if Gates was interested in the Indianapolis 500 race. Note in the photo there appear to be eight women sitting on the porch. One appears to be a nun. The upper porch windows are not present. New York Avenue is still a dirt road. 1915. The address at that time was 128 New York Avenue. Note the streetcar rails up Jackson and turning left onto New York Avenue. Both roads appear to be dirt. New York at Jackson was on the “Yellowstone Trail.” Page 25 1920. Roy and Ruth Sullivan, children of Frank and Georgiana. The Gates era was short-lived. Page 26 Page 27 Sullivan era. Note the single car garage, which in 1902 was a novel design. It was built specifically for automobiles, not horse-drawn carriages. One of the first in Oshkosh. Page 28 Date unknown, possibly 1930’s-1940’s. Note the style of the car. Exterior paint has contrasting theme. Winter windows are installed in the upper porch. Georgiana Sullivan in the Kitchen Page 29 George Sullivan (left), son of Frank and Georgiana, on the roof near the New York/Jackson corner. George was born deaf and had a very special relationship with his brother Don (right) standing on chimney. Don learned intimate ways to communicate with his brother. Page 30 Date unknown. Several details indicate Sullivan Family era (1920-1963). The hood of the car appears to be 1960’s. The house is all white, starkly different from the original contrasting color scheme. Upper porch windows are not present. The tree at the driveway was gone when the Green Family bought the house in 1963. Don Sullivan, son of Frank and Georgiana Sullivan was a radio enthusiast. Note the elaborate antenna on the roof. Page 31 1967. Greg and Rich Green with neighbors and the huge snowman. Note the green window trim and softer off-white color scheme. Mary Green 1964 Page 32 Dave Green in the Living Room. Date Unknown Page 33 2022 Interior Views Dining Room, Built-In Buffet, Pantry Door. Original Dining Set, Murano Crystal Chandelier Page 34 Master Bedroom. Fleur de Lis Rosewood Fireplace Beveled Glass Window (east elevation) Page 35 Foyer, Stairway, Upper Hall, Built-In Linen Closet Original Rosewood Chairs Page 36 Upper Stair, Views of Nursery and Upper Porch with 9 ft. Leaded Beveled Glass Window Page 37 George W. Gates, father of L. Frank Gates, dropped dead in this Foyer. According to the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern, September 23, 1918, Page 10: “Pioneer Member of the Match Industry Succumbs Suddenly to Heart Attack. Death came almost without warning Sunday to George Washington Gates, pioneer of the match industry and long an active worker in the Baptist church. He had gone to the door at the home of his son, L. Frank Gates, 128 New York Avenue, and was stricken as he returned from the hallway, sinking to the floor and passing away before anyone could reach him. The end was due to heart failure…when the fatal seizure came, Mrs. L. Frank Gates was upstairs but heard Mr. Gates stumble. She hurried to him but the summons had come. He had grasped a chair in an effort to steady himself and had collapsed on the floor.” The rosewood chair in this photo (one of a pair) is original to the house. Page 38 Original Gas and Electric Fixture Note Ionic Column Theme Throughout Page 39 Parlor Fireplace. Ionic Columns. Page 40 Foyer Carving Speaking Tube from Master Bedroom to Kitchen Page 41 2024 Before New Paint Page 42 2024 After Paint colors selected from 1902 period palette Page 43 Architectural Plans Original Blueprints 1902 William C. Klapproth Page 44 Page 45 Page 46 Page 47 Page 48 Page 49 Page 50 Building Specifications Original 1902 William C. Klapproth Page 51 Page 52 Page 53 Page 54 Page 55 Page 56 Page 57 Page 58 Page 59 Page 60 Page 61 Page 62 Page 63 Page 64 Page 65 Page 66 Page 67 Page 68 Page 69 Page 70 Page 71 Page 72 Page 73 Page 74 Page 75 Page 76 Page 77 Page 78 Page 79 Page 80 Page 81 Plat Map Form SCNLTR — "WinTOTAL" appraisal software by a la mode, inc. — 1-800-ALAMODE Plat Map Form SCNLTR — "WinTOTAL" appraisal software by a la mode, inc. — 1-800-ALAMODE Page #13 Page 82 W NEW YORK AV JACKSON ST J:\GIS\Planning\Plan Commission Site Plan Map Template\2023 Plan Commission Site Plan Map Template.mxd User: katrinam Prepared by: City of Oshkosh, WI Printing Date: 1/30/2026 1 in = 20 ft1 in = 0 mi¯404 W New York Ave City of Oshkosh maps and data are intended to be used for general identification purposes only, and the City of Oshkoshassumes no liability for the accuracy of the information. Those using the information are responsible for verifying accuracy. Forfull disclaimer please go to www.ci.oshkosh.wi.us/GISdisclaimer Page 83 W NEWYORK AV JACKSON ST JACKSON ST W NEWYORK AV W NEW YORK AV JACKSON ST I-PD MR-20 SR-5 SR-9 J:\GIS\Planning\Plan Commission Site Plan Map Template\2023 Plan Commission Site Plan Map Template.mxd User: katrinam Prepared by: City of Oshkosh, WI Printing Date: 1/30/2026 1 in = 60 ft1 in = 0.01 mi¯404 W New York AveZoning & Aerial Map City of Oshkosh maps and data are intended to be used for general identification purposes only, and the City of Oshkoshassumes no liability for the accuracy of the information. Those using the information are responsible for verifying accuracy. Forfull disclaimer please go to www.ci.oshkosh.wi.us/GISdisclaimer Page 84